Saturday 15 October 2011

CHINYERE INYAMA- FIRST BLACK BRITISH CORONER

Source: The Voice

“I might be the first black coroner but that’s not something I am going to dwell on. My aim is to be the best coroner full stop. As a black man, you often feel you have to be twice as good to get half the praise, and only half as bad to get twice the criticism.” 

 Fifty year old married father of six and of Nigerian heritage Chinyere Inyama has become The UK's first black coroner. Newly appointed in February to oversee Walthamstow Coroner's Court, Coroner Inyama is not incognizant to the issue of race, stereotypes and prejudice which plagues modern day multicultural Britain when he remarks:
“I went to a meeting of the Coroners’ Society earlier this year and, even in 2011, it was a case of the room hushing when I walked in. I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I'm proud of that and very proud I had my black wife next to me.”

Coroner Inyami with wife and four of their six children earlier this year at his swearing in ceremony.
 A fully qualified solicitor,Coroner Inyami grew up in North West London and attended the Marylebone Grammar School. He obtained a Bsc in Pharmacology and Biochemistry from Leeds University before going on to acquire an Msc in Experimental Pathology.This is in accordance with being a Coroner, where both medical and law qualifications are peremptory.

Somewhat perturbed and dismayed by the lack of black mental health Lawyers, Inyama set up his own practice in 1996 which ultimately pushed him to forge a career as a Coroner where he is able to have the power and autonomy in making live saving potential recommendations to the system.


The issue of black mental health is an open sore. Rates of black men being sectioned are still too high. There is still this ‘big, black and dangerous - lock them up’ mentality. It’s a crying shame. There are more black psychiatrists. Doctors are black. Nurses are black. But these institutions are still filled with black people. If I do things right and pick up where things are going wrong and what people are dying of, I can report it to the Department of Health. It can mean better targeting of health resources.”


According to judiciary.gov.uk, there are approximately 110 separate coroner's jurisdiction in England and Wales. They are barristers, solicitors or medical practitioners who resume their normal legal day to day duties when not in court. There is no doubt Coroner Inyama has joined the clerisy and bon-ton of an elite group.


“However, there's still not enough black people in the judiciary. There are a lot of very good black lawyers who still aren't getting the jobs they deserve. It is time for the black community in this country to finally play a significant role in accordance with their qualities. I don't like people who say ‘I can't’. I like people who say ‘I can’. That just about sums me up."
A relaxed Coroner Inyama in a private family picture

13 comments:

  1. Chinyere Inyama knows that the secret of success is progress. He knows that one has to be a action oriented and one has to use their head to make it in the system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and it makes me feel so proud, because after over 35 years since leaving school I can still count Chinyere as one of my friends and will forever call him Chinny. Very proud of all your schievements brother and more so your wisdom.
    Chaz Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am black and very proud of your success. Yes we can do it and you are doing just that. You are an inspiration to us all, especially our children. Steve Gill is my good friend and he could not be prouder. Nnenna Aitalegbe - Centre for Regional and International Development UK will be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My aim is to be the best coroner full stop." You are not doing very well so good at the moment are you? Please stop "inadvertently" disposing important murder files.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four years into the job and you have seriously let down the public by leaving a report on a train. Alice Gross's murder has hit her family and friends very hard and your callous disregard for the privacy of the report is shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and yet this guy lost a critical evidence file on the death of Alice Gross on a train. Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Complete disgrace to all coroners and especially to the black community who you have let down so badly by your incompetence and laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What as disaster Mr Inyama has turned out to be. One of most useless coroners London has ever had....just look at the complaints against him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't this the guy who has now been bullying staff at the West London coroners? Such a great opportunity to be a role model for the black community wasted!!! Disgraced.

    http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-11-02/six-councils-urge-action-against-west-london-coroner/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been taking a break from blogosphere & the news in general and was not aware of this. Thank you for the links and information

    ReplyDelete
  11. This doesn't bod well for me But as a Buddhist I believe if you learn from mistakes you can only get better. Whether your black white green or yellow as long as you do the best you can with the equipment your given. My sons court case comes up on 03/05/2016 he died last May 31st. I do not want to hear bad stories about the coroner or coroners office. I to have been left on phone. But it tells you where you are in the queue I have been helped by the staff. And most of the wait has been forensics toxicology and other things besides this is not the coroners fault. This is cut backs by the government in all departments. If you don't have staff or enough staff you then end up with stress. And it trickles up. Give the man a brake please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about your loss and hope it all goes well for you.

      Delete
  12. To Inyama

    CPS hired a private detective out over Mrs Eleanor De Freitas (rape claim) and the private detective (stated to the CPS) that there was no evidence to suggest that Mrs Eleanor De Freitas of lying, yet CPS continue to chase and harass this woman. Resulting in her death, CPS has some answers to ask for.

    ReplyDelete